Standing in my kitchen and looking around I realize I do not like my kitchen any longer.
It’s so old fashioned, boring and totally not me.
I want my kitchen to look like one in a magazine.
It’s all about money
Remodeling a kitchen can be quite expensive. And being a single mum, I’m on a tight budget. So where to begin?
My wish list:
- new cabinets
- new worktop
- new door handles
- new accessories
- new tiles
I do not just want a new look, I want a whole new kitchen!
But those huge expenses are definitely a no go for me. I have way to much wishes for my thigh budget.
Lets see how I can cut back on costs and still end up with a kitchen I love.
Remodeling with a limited budget
Working out a new strategy I decide to paint my cabinets, that will keep costs low.
I’ve chosen a warm white color since my kitchen is rather dark. This color will brighten up the whole space. And give me just the look I want for my kitchen. And it also fits perfectly with the worktop I’m stuck with because I can’t afford to replace it.
For new accessories I can look in second hand shops, or shop for stuff that’s on sale.
The bargain hunt will be fun.
Are you remodeling your kitchen? Here are some tips for your wish list:
- write measurements down
- make sure you have color samples with you
- write down the exact number of certain items you want/need
With my shopping list in my purseand all the measurements written down I’m always ready to find the perfect items.
It might take a few weeks before I have collected everything I need, but that, for me, is part of the fun.
Remodeling a kitchen on a thigh budget is not an overnight job.
In some cases a new and totally remodeled kitchen is not even necessary.
You also can make your kitchen look brand new just by adding a new color.
- Buy some new, fresh herbs, put them in colorful flowerpots
- Add a bowl of fresh fruit
- Tins with spices in different colors and sizes might give an eye-catching touch to your old kitchen and give just the reviving touch you need, to fall in love with your kitchen again.
- And what to think of jars filled with pasta in all colors and shapes or bottles with vinegar and olive oil. They come in all sizes, colors and shapes.
Don’t forget the lights
When remodeling also take look at lightning. Changing lightbulbs will give a whole new atmosphere. Ever thought of using bulbs with a different coating?
Or change the color temperature? It might change the look of you kitchen dramatically. I used a free online lightning plan to help me figure out the perfect lighting for my kitchen. And it’s so much fun to do.
It was the cherry on the cake.